By default, editing a script tool will open a tool's source file using Notepad. To set the editor to your preferred editor of Python integrated development environment (IDE)
- In the Project pane, click the Options button and click Geoprocessing.
- In the Script Editor box, enter or browse to the IDE you will be using.
A common workflow when working with Python script tools is as follows:
- Edit your script and save your changes, but don't exit the editing application.
- Run the script tool.
- If need be, make more code changes, saving your edits but not exiting the editing application.
- Run the script tool again.
- When you're satisfied that your script is working correctly, exit the editing application.