ArcGIS Pro uses a rectangular ribbon across the top of the application to display and organize functionality. The ribbon groups functionality into a series of tabs that contain groups of large icon buttons. You can create new tabs on the ribbon, add groups to those tabs, and choose which buttons appear on the tabs. To customize the ribbon, click the Project tab and click Options. On the Options dialog box, on the Customize the Ribbon tab, you can set the options described in this topic. Changes you make to the ribbon are saved as part of your application settings.
Add and remove commands
Find commands by browsing by the name of the tab or searching through an alphabetical list of all commands and geoprocessing tools in the application. The first column lists all available commands, and the second column lists the commands that are currently displayed on the ribbon.
- Under Choose commands from, you can use the drop-down menu to filter the commands in the first column. You can choose from:
- List of tabs
- All Commands
- Geoprocessing Tools
The All Commands and Geoprocessing Tools modes provide a search box to quickly find a specific command or tool. The Geoprocessing Tools list contains both ArcGIS tools and custom tools that you have built or that others have shared with you. For more information about customizing the geoprocessing experience, see Customize ArcGIS Pro with geoprocessing tools.
- To add a command to the ribbon, click the command in the first column. Then click the tab and group to add it to in the second column, and click Add.
- To remove a command from the ribbon, select it in the second column and click Remove.
Create a custom keyboard accelerator
With keyboard accelerators, you can execute a command anytime by pressing a specific combination of keys. On the Customize the Ribbon page of the Options dialog box, under Accelerator, you can assign an accelerator to a command.
- Select the command in the list.
- Type the custom keyboard accelerator in the Accelerator text box.
- Click Assign.
- To remove the custom accelerator for a single command, select it in the list and click Reset.
- To remove custom accelerators for all commands, click the Customizations drop-down menu and click Reset Accelerators.
Create new tabs and groups
You can create new tabs on the ribbon, add groups to those tabs, and choose which buttons appear on the tabs. These customizations can help streamline you workflows and allow to work more efficiently with the application.
Create a new tab
- To create a new tab, click in the list of existing commands where you want your new tab to appear on the ribbon and click New Tab.
- To rename your new tab, right-click and click Rename or click Rename under the list of existing commands.
Create a new group
- To create a new group, click in the list of existing commands where you want your new group to appear on the ribbon and click New Group.
- To rename your new group, right-click and click Rename or click Rename under the list of existing commands.
Show command IDs on ScreenTips
To show a command's unique ID as part of a ScreenTip, which is a small pop-up that appears when you hover over a button on the ribbon, check the Show command IDs on ScreenTips option. Seeing the ID is helpful when you're working with custom functionality or add-ins—for example, to locate the command in a list of identifiers.