You can access project and application options for ArcGIS Pro on the Options dialog box. To access Options while working in ArcGIS Pro, click the Project tab and click Options. To access Options before you open a project, click About ArcGIS Pro on the bottom of the start screen.
On the Options dialog box, under Project, you can set options for the project that is currently open. Under Application, you can set options that apply to the entire application and to current and future ArcGIS Pro sessions. This topic includes specific information for some of these application settings - Theme, Help system, Customize the Ribbon, and Language. To find detailed information about the other options, click the links at the bottom of the Options dialog box.
You can personalize ArcGIS Pro by changing the theme. The themes available for ArcGIS Pro are Light and Dark. To change the theme, open the Options dialog box and click the General tab. Under Personalize, select Light or Dark in the Theme drop-down menu. Restart ArcGIS Pro for your theme changes to take effect.
Choose the online or offline help system
ArcGIS Pro has two ways of accessing help: online from the Internet or offline files installed on your local machine. If you know you will be working in the field or in a disconnected environment and need to use the help system, make sure you install the offline help system. You can learn more about how to work with the ArcGIS Pro help in the About ArcGIS Pro help topic.
- Download the ArcGIS Pro Help setup from the location where you obtained the ArcGIS Pro application setup and run the installation program.
- After you have installed the help, you can choose which system to use. You can change this option at any time, and the update takes effect immediately.
- Start ArcGIS Pro, open a project, and click the Project tab.
- Click Options.
- Under Application, click General.
- Choose whether to access online help from the Internet or offline help from your computer. The offline option is only available after you have installed the help setup.
- Click OK.
Customize the ribbon
On the Options dialog box, on the Customize the Ribbon tab, you can create new tabs, add groups inside of tabs, and choose which buttons appear on the tabs. Changes you make to the user interface (UI) are saved as part of your application settings.
- On the Project tab, click Options and click Customize the Ribbon.
- Find commands by browsing for them by the name of the tab or searching through an alphabetical list of all commands in the application. The first column shows all available commands, while the second column shows the commands that are currently displayed on the UI.
- To add a command to the UI, click the command in the first list, find the tab and group to add it to from the second list, and click Add.
- To remove a command from the UI, find it in the second column and click Remove.
- You can also create new tabs and groups and rename existing elements.
- To show a command's unique ID as part of a ScreenTip, which is a small pop-up that appears when you hover over a button on the ribbon, check Show command IDs on ScreenTips. Seeing the ID is helpful when you are working with custom functionality or add-ins—for example, so you can locate the command in a list of identifiers.
- Click Reset to restore the default settings of the ribbon.
Set the display language
You can run a translated version of ArcGIS Pro by adding a language pack to the ArcGIS Pro application. When a language pack is installed, the ArcGIS Pro user interface text can display your preferred language.
By default, the Microsoft Windows display language sets the language for ArcGIS Pro. For example, if you have installed a German language pack for ArcGIS Pro and your Windows display language is also German, ArcGIS Pro runs in German automatically.
However, if you want to run ArcGIS Pro with a display language different from Windows, you can change the language in the ArcGIS Pro options. You can also specify the language for the ArcGIS Pro help system, which is available in online and offline formats. To view offline help in your language, you need to install the ArcGIS Pro language pack.
Keep in mind that this option only changes the display language of the ArcGIS Pro user interface. It does not affect functionality related to number and date formatting or character encoding, which are controlled by your Windows region settings. In addition, this setting is for ArcGIS Pro only and does not update other ArcGIS Desktop applications that may be installed on the same machine.
- Install a language pack for ArcGIS Pro, which you can obtain from your distributor or the My Esri website where you downloaded the program.
- Within ArcGIS Pro, click the Project tab and click Options.
- Under Application, click Language.
- Clear the Match Microsoft Windows check box.
- Choose the display language from the list of available installed languages. To return ArcGIS Pro to the Windows display language, check Match Microsoft Windows.
- When you set the display language, the help languages update, too. If needed, you can change the language of the online and offline help systems.
- Restart ArcGIS Pro to see your changes.