This workflow is for software license administrators, including administrators of ArcGIS Trial organizations.
Before you can authorize ArcGIS Pro Named User licenses, you must set up your ArcGIS Online organization. The steps below give an overview of the process and are focused on the part most relevant to licensing: adding members to the organization.
Activate your subscription
To begin, you need to activate your ArcGIS Online subscription or ArcGIS Trial. The steps are outlined below. For detailed steps, see Activate subscription in the ArcGIS Online help.
- Open the email from Esri Customer Service that has the link to activate your ArcGIS Online subscription or ArcGIS Trial.
The person who activates the subscription automatically becomes the administrator of the ArcGIS Online organization. If you are not the intended administrator, forward the email to the appropriate person.
If you can’t find the activation email, you can request your ArcGIS Online activation code. (Scroll to the bottom of the page to see the form.)
- Click the activation link to open the Sign In page.
- If you are already using ArcGIS Online, sign in with your existing user name and password. If you are new to ArcGIS Online, click Create a New Account.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to create your account.
Set up your organization
After you sign in or complete the sign-up process, the Set Up Your Organization page appears. The steps are outlined below. For detailed steps, see Configure general settings in the ArcGIS Online help.
- Follow the instructions on the Set Up Your Organization page to configure basic settings for your organization.
- Click Save and Continue.
If you have an ArcGIS Trial, a Welcome message appears with a prompt to download ArcGIS Pro and other apps. You can continue setting up the organization and download the software later. On the Welcome message, click Continue with ArcGIS Online. See Notes for ArcGIS Trial users for information on downloading the software after you set up your organization.
Add members to your organization
ArcGIS Pro licenses can be assigned only to members of your ArcGIS Online organization. The basic steps to add members are outlined below. For detailed steps, see Invite and add members in the ArcGIS Online help.
- At the top of your ArcGIS Online organization site, click Organization if necessary.
On the Organization page, you are listed as a member of the organization. Your level is 2 and your role is Administrator.
Only Level 2 members can have ArcGIS Pro licenses.
On the right side of the page, under Subscription Status, you can see how many Level 2 memberships are available in your organization.
- Above the list of members, click Invite Members.
There are three ways to invite members:
- Invite members without sending invitations.
- Add members and notify them by email.
- Invite members to join using an account of their choice.
The default option is to add members and notify them by email. The quickest option is to add members without sending invitations. The option to invite members to join using an account of their choice is used to invite people who already have ArcGIS Online public accounts and want to bring their public account content into the organization.
- Choose one of the invitation methods and follow the prompts to add members to the organization.
Any members who will use ArcGIS Pro must be assigned Level 2. You can change a member’s level at any time after they join the organization.
Once members are added to your organization, continue with Assign Named User licenses in ArcGIS Online.