You can make a chart from any map layer that has an attribute table, including stand-alone tables. If you wish to create a chart from data that is not yet in your map, add the layer to the map so it shows in the Contents pane.
- Choose the layer in the Contents pane.
- In the layer's contextual Data tab click Visualize > Create Chart. Alternatively, you can right-click the layer in the Contents pane and click Create Chart.
- Choose the type of chart to make from the menu.
- A chart window opens. This will remain blank until you define the chart's variables.
- The Chart Properties pane opens. Here you can define the chart variables, properties, and title text.
- If you switch to List By Charts in the Contents pane, you will see a new chart added under the layer.
After you choose the type of chart to make, several actions occur:
Charts are displayed in a dockable window or view. Chart windows can be moved or docked similarly to how you work with maps, layouts, or attribute tables. When you first make a chart, the chart window appears blank; no data or value labels are yet displayed in the chart window. To display data on the chart you must first define chart variables.
Define chart variables
To display data on the chart, you must define required chart variables by selecting attribute fields from the source layer.
- On the Data tab of the Chart Properties pane, select attribute fields to use for each axis.
- Depending on the type of chart you are making, you can adjust other properties such as Aggregation, Series, or Number of Bins.
- On the General tab of the Chart Properties pane, you can edit the chart and axes titles and provide a description.
After you define chart variables, the chart window will display values on the axes and data will be drawn on the chart.
Configure chart appearance
Whenever possible, charts with no aggregation will use the same colors as the layer symbology. Aggregated and multiple series chart colors can be customized in the Chart Properties pane by clicking the Symbol color swatch in the Series table and manually choosing a color.
When a chart window is active, a Chart Format context ribbon becomes available, allowing visual formatting of the chart. Chart formatting options include the following:
- Changing the size, color, and style of the font used for axis titles, axis labels, description text, and legend text
- Changing the color, width, and line type for grid and axis lines
- Changing the background color of the chart