Network Analyst allows you to perform analysis on network datasets. These analyses include finding shortest paths, drive-time polygons, and closest facilities.
The network analysis layers can be created using a local network dataset or with logistic services hosted in ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS.
Create a network analysis layer
Follow the steps below for creating a new network analysis layer.
- If required, insert a new map by clicking Insert > New Map.
- If required, select the network data source from the available options.
If you perform an analysis using ArcGIS Online, the solver references a high-quality, worldwide network dataset stored in the ArcGIS Online cloud and will use ArcGIS Online credits. If you're using your own data, no online credits are used, but you need to associate your network dataset with the project.
- Click the Analysis tab, and from the Network Analysis drop-down menu, choose an analysis layer type.
The newly created network analysis layer is added to the Contents pane.
Change the data source for the network analysis layer
Follow the steps below to change the default network source for creating a new network analysis layer.
- Click the Analysis tab, and in the tool ribbon, click the Network Analysis drop-down menu.
- Click Change network data source at the bottom of the menu.
The Select Network Data Source dialog box appears.
- Click the Browse button to browse to the location of the network dataset you want to use.
- Select the network dataset and click OK.
The selected network dataset is set as the default. Also, next time you open the Select Network Data Source dialog box, the network dataset will appear in the list of available network dataset sources.