The Locate pane provides a quick way to search for a feature and display the corresponding location on a map.
To use any layers to find features using the Locate pane, you must first add them to your map.
To view the currently available layers in your map, examine the Contents pane, where they're listed. Layers can be configured for search regardless of whether their visibility is checked on or off in the Contents pane.
- Open the Locate pane by clicking the Locate button on the Map tab at the top of your project. The pane opens over the Catalog pane.
- View the Locate pane settings by clicking the Settings tab at the top of the Locate pane.
The Locate pane displays a list of locate providers available to you. There is also a list of locators that includes locators added automatically from your portal connection as well as any that you added manually.
- Add a layer from the map to the Locate pane by clicking the Add button and choosing Add Layer.
The Select Layer pop-up appears, which lists all layers currently available in the Contents pane.
- Select a layer from the list in the Select Layer pop-up, and click OK.
The Locate pane now displays the Configure Layer for Locate view for the layer that you selected.
- For any field that you want to search against, choose either Equals, which allows you to perform exact searches, or Contains, which allows you to perform an approximate search.
- To save your search configuration, click the Save and return to Settings button at the upper left of the pane.
A message appears suggesting that you index the fields you configured for search. Indexing improves performance and is worth doing if your dataset is large and you will be searching it frequently.
The Locate pane now displays the Settings tab again, and you'll see your newly configured layer displayed in the list of Locate Providers. You can rearrange the order of locate providers in the list, which determines the order in which a search is performed as well as the order in which results are returned and displayed in the Locate pane.
- In the Search text box in the Locate pane, type the characters or numbers that represent the feature you want to find, and press Enter.
As you type, auto-complete suggestions may appear below the Search text box. These are generated by any geocoding services in your project that were built with suggestions enabled. Suggestions are not currently supported for layers configured for feature search.
If the feature matches, the results display in list format under the locate provider that returned them, and they display as labelled points on your map. You can right-click any candidate to reveal the Zoom To option and the Pan To option that allow you to perform their respective actions on the selected result so you can examine it more efficiently.
- On the Map tab, click the Explore tool drop-down menu and click Candidate Pop-up. Select a result from the list or from the map to view a pop-up with detailed information about a feature result.
The Candidate Pop-up window appears. You can perform several actions, including selecting the feature.