This topic describes the property listed in the Input fields section of the Locator Properties dialog box.
When you geocode a table using the Geocode Addresses geoprocessing tool, the locator searches for the input field names in the table. The names listed in the Input fields section are automatically recognized by the locator. You can add the names of the fields in your table to the locator so the fields are recognized and selected. If the fields are not recognized, you need to manually select the fields.
Depending on the locator style that was used to build the locator, the number of input fields and their names can vary. You can add or remove field names for each input field by following the steps below:
- On the Locator Properties dialog box, click the Input fields tab on the left.
- Click one of the Input Fields fields in the top half of the dialog box.
The Recognized names for ... input field table in the bottom half of the dialog box will display the recognized fields for that input.
- Click the Add button to add a recognized field name.
A new row appears in the table, with an editable text box.
- Type a name in the text box in the new row. This is now a recognized name for the field to search for in your table.
- Click OK on the Locator Properties dialog box to save the settings.
- You can also edit or delete a field name, using the Delete button.