This topic describes the property listed in the Place name alias table section of the Locator Properties dialog box.
Place-name aliases are common names of a location, such as the name of a school, hospital, or other landmark. In geocoding, the locator can be set to accommodate the use of place-name aliases instead of their addresses for matching. By adding a place-name alias table, you can search for locations based on a location name.
After a locator is created, you can modify the locator to add or change the place-name alias table.
- On the Locator Properties dialog box, click the Place name alias table tab on the left.
- Click Browse above the Alias Table drop-down menu.
The Browse dialog box opens.
- Browse to the table you want to use for your alias name data on the Browse dialog box, and click Open.
Options for Alias Field and Address Fields become available.
- Click the Alias Field drop-down menu on the Locator Properties dialog box, and click the field that corresponds to the location or alias name.
- In the Address Fields section, click the drop-down box of each field, and choose an appropriate field from the place-name alias table.
- Click OK to save the settings and close the dialog box.