In this tutorial, you'll learn how to find addresses or places on the Locate pane using the ArcGIS Online World Geocoding Service and a locator on disk.
Get the data
The data for this tutorial is available for download on arcgis.com.
- Go to the item description web page of the geocoding tutorial data on ArcGIS Online.
- Click the Download button to save the file locally.
- Unzip the downloaded file.
Find an address or place on the Locate pane using the ArcGIS Online World Geocoding Service
- Open ArcGIS Pro.
- Sign on to ArcGIS Online.
- Create a new project based on a blank template.
- On the Insert tab, click New Map.
A basemap appears.
- On the Map tab, in the Inquiry group, click the Locate button .
The Locate pane appears.
- On the Locate pane, type 10 E Main St, Madison, WI in the search box.
As you type, a list of suggested results display.
- Click the first item on the list.
One or more match results display, and each is prefixed with a capital case letter.
- Click any item on the list to view the location on the map.
The letter symbol of the item highlights on the map.
If the item is outside the current map display, right-click the candidate and select Zoom To or Pan To on the right of the selected item to zoom or pan to the location of the result on the map.
Click the Menu button and click Zoom To All to zoom to all matched results on the map.
Click the Item Details button to display the details of each match result.
In a local area of the map (a map scale larger than 1:50000), you may search features based on a category, such as a gas station or pizza restaurant.
- Zoom to an area of a scale larger than 1:50000.
- Type pizza in the search box.
A list of pizza restaurants on the map area are found.
You may also find places or city names with the ArcGIS Online World Geocoding Service.
- Type London, England in the search box.
The map automatically zooms to the location.
- Click the Down arrow on the search box to display the search history and select the address or place name you want to find again.
Find an address on the Locate pane using a locator on disk
- Add the Atlanta locator in the geocoding tutorial folder to the project.
The Atlanta locator is added to the Locators folder on the Catalog pane.
- On the Locate pane, type 300 W Peachtree St NE, Atlanta GA in the search box.
Match results from both ArcGIS Online World Geocoding Service and the Atlanta locator display.
- Click the first candidate of the Atlanta locator, right-click the candidate, then select Zoom To to zoom to the match location on the map.