ArcGIS Pro connects to file and enterprise geodatabases.
You do not have to keep your geodatabase and ArcGIS clients at the same release, but it is recommended that you do so. Geodatabases and client software are designed to work together, and if you let one get too many releases away from the other, you risk encountering problems or unexpected behavior.
The following table indicates which version of ArcGIS client applications can connect to which versions of the geodatabase:
|Client release||File geodatabase release||Enterprise geodatabase*|
ArcGIS Pro 2.1 to 2.3
10.2.x, 10.3.x, 10.4.x, 10.5.x, 10.6.x
*Specific versions supported for enterprise geodatabases may vary depending on the database you use to store the geodatabase. The database version must be supported for both the client and geodatabase version. For more information on supported database versions and client connections made to enterprise geodatabases, see the topics appropriate to your database management system:
- IBM Db2 database requirements for ArcGIS
- Compatibility between clients and geodatabases in Db2
- Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS
- Compatibility between clients and geodatabases in SQL Server
- Oracle database requirements for ArcGIS
- Compatibility between clients and geodatabases in Oracle
- PostgreSQL database requirements for ArcGIS
- Compatibility between clients and geodatabases in PostgreSQL
- SAP HANA database requirements for ArcGIS
- Compatibility between clients and geodatabases in SAP HANA
Functionality available when using mixed client and geodatabase releases
You do not need to upgrade the geodatabase to the current release to take advantage of the following functionality:
- Editor tracking on tables and feature classes
- Network datasets that include functionality for live traffic data, soft restrictions, preferred truck routes, and Python script evaluators
- Mosaic datasets that include improved generation of seamlines and footprints, support for more raster types, additional properties, and tools to analyze the mosaic dataset for known errors or limitations
While ArcGIS Pro 2.1 and 2.2 clients can open, query, edit, and save data in newer release geodatabases, they cannot open datasets that participate in newer functionality and will encounter one of the following error messages when trying to open one of these datasets:
The version of the Geodatabase client is incompatible with the dataset and cannot open it.
Failed to add data, unsupported data type.
When do you need to upgrade a geodatabase?
You should upgrade if either of the following is true:
- The client release you are using cannot connect to the geodatabase release you want to use.
- You want to take advantage of functionality available in a newer release of the geodatabase.
For more information on geodatabase upgrades, see the upgrade topics appropriate to the type of geodatabase you are using: