You can export a raster to a netCDF file with the Raster to NetCDF tool. Raster cell values are exported as netCDF variables. Longitude and latitude, or x- and y-coordinate values, are exported as coordinate variables.
A single-band raster is exported as a variable of rank 2, which means it has two dimensions, representing x- and y-coordinates. A multiband raster is exported with an additional dimension to represent different bands. Fields from a raster catalog are exported as additional dimensions.
The tool always creates a new netCDF file or overwrites an existing one. It does not append to an existing netCDF file.
- Click the Analysis tab.
- Click Tools.
- Type Raster to NetCDF in the text box.
- Click Raster to NetCDF in the returned list to open the tool.
- Type the name in the Input Raster text box, or click the browse button to navigate to the input raster.
- Type the name in Output netCDF File, or leave the default.
- Type the variable name in the Variable text box, or leave the default.
- Type the units in Variable Units, or leave it empty.
- Type the dimension name in X Dimension, or leave the default.
- Type the dimension name in Y Dimension, or leave the default.
- Type the dimension name in Band Dimension, or leave the default.
This parameter is applicable for a multiband raster input only.
- If the input is a mosaic dataset, click the drop-down arrow of Field below Fields to Dimensions, check one or more fields, and click Add. The field (or fields) added will be the dimension (or dimensions) of variables specified in the Fields to Variables parameter.
- Type the dimension name in Dimension for the added field, or leave the default.
- Type the units in Units for the added field, or leave it empty.
- Repeat steps 13, and 14 for additional fields if there are any added in step 12.
- Click Run.