On the Insert tab, in the Project group, you can add connections to feature services for editing. Feature templates published with a feature service appear in the Create Features pane when you add the service to your map. You cannot undo changes made to layers in a feature service. You can, however, undo or redo actions in the map that do not modify data from a feature service such as a changing layer properties.
Feature services allow you to edit feature layers and tables containing nonspatial tabular data over the Internet. They are published with ArcGIS Server. You access them using a URL similar to a web page. You can create and modify features using the same editing tools you normally use to edit geodatabase feature layers.
This topic shows you how to add a feature service to a map for the purpose of creating or editing features. For detailed workflows that show you how to create or modify specific feature types, browse the table of contents, or type one or more keywords in the Search box and press Enter.
Open a map
To open a map, in the Project pane, expand Maps , right-click the map, and click Open.
- On the View tab, click the Project drop-down arrow and click Project Pane .
The Project pane appears.
- In the Project pane, expand Maps , right-click the map, and click Open.
- If the map does not exist, create a new map or import an existing map. To learn more, see Add maps to a project.
Add a connection to the server
To add a connection to the server, on the Insert tab, in the Project group, click Connections and click New ArcGIS Server .
On the Insert tab in the Project group,
click Connections and click New ArcGIS Server .
The Add ArcGIS Server User Connection dialog box appears.
- In the Server URL text box, type the full URL for the server.
For example, type http://sampleserver6.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/services.
- If required, type your credentials in the User Name and Password text boxes.
- Click OK.
In the Project pane, the server connection is added to Servers .
Add the feature service to the map
To add a feature service to your map, in the Project pane, expand Servers , expand the ArcGIS Server connection icon , and drag the feature service icon into the active map.
- In the Project pane, expand Servers .
- Right click the feature service icon , and click Add To Current Map. , or drag it onto the map.
- In the Contents pane, right-click the layer and click Zoom To Layer.