In the Modify Features pane, Align Features reshapes segments of a feature within a specified buffer tolerance and makes them coincident with the boundary of another feature using Trace . It can be used to close gaps between complex features such as streams or forest boundaries.
This workflow can correct feature geometry that was captured at different resolutions, scales, or time periods, resulting in edges that are braided, overlap, or have gaps between them. For steps to align simple segments using map topology, see Align Edge.
To reshape segments to be coincident with the boundary of another feature, click Align Features, select the features to be edited, trace the feature to which you want to align the selected feature, specify a buffer distance, and click Finish or press the F2 key.
- On the Edit tab in the Features group, click Modify .
The Modify Features pane opens.
- Expand the Align category and click Align Features .
The tool opens in the pane.
- Click Active Select , and select the feature you want to align.
The selected features are listed in the pane.
- To prune the selection or visually confirm the selected features, right-click a feature in the list and use the following commands:
- Flash flashes the feature in the map.
- Only Select This removes all other features from the selection.
- Unselect removes the feature from the selection.
- Draw the alignment path by clicking and dragging the pointer along the segments to which you want to align the feature.
- To cancel the trace and create a new one, press the Esc key and in the pane, click Draw the alignment path .
- To temporarily turn Snapping off as you create the cutting line, press and hold the Spacebar
- To limit the trace to selected features, press and hold the Ctrl key.
- Click the map to terminate the trace line.
A buffer is displayed around the trace line.
- In the pane, in the Align Tolerance text box, type the distance and select the units.
The buffer updates in the map. Segments inside the buffer are reshaped and made coincident with the trace line.
- Check Insert Vertices to preserve the general direction of segments outside the buffer area.
- To change the shape of the buffer area, expand Alignment Area and configure the following settings:
- Side settings extend the buffer to the Right, Left, or Both sides of the traced line.
- End settings terminate the buffer area at each end with Round or Square ends.
- Click Align.
Segments of the feature within the buffer area are reshaped and made coincident with the traced line.