In the Manage Templates or the Create Features pane, you can click a group template, click Properties , and configure it. In the Template Properties dialog box, you can name the template, add searchable tags, choose the tools that appear on the tool palette, and add attribute values that are applied to new features. Symbology is a property of the feature layer.
The primary template and the construction tool set you choose to use affect the component templates and builders that are available to the group. Component feature templates and their respective builders are configured on the Builders page.
For example, if you assign a water service polyline feature template as the primary template, you create the waterlines in the map using the pointer. Other templates, such as those for fittings, gate valves, and hydrants, can be added to the group template and configured to autogenerate these features at locations based on the geometry of the water service lines.
This is a basic workflow for configuring a group template. Group templates are not autogenerated when you add a new layer to a map or scene. For steps to create a new group template, see Create a group template.
Open template properties
In the Manage Templates or the Create Features pane, you can click a group template, and click Properties to open the Template Properties dialog box.
From the Manage Templates pane
The Manage Templates pane displays all templates defined for the project.
- On the Edit tab in the Features group, click the Manage Templates dialog box launcher .
- In the Manage Templates pane, expand the map and its layers.
- Click the layer for the template you want to configure.
Feature templates defined for the layer appear on the template page.
- On the template page, click the group template.
- On the toolbar, click Properties .
- You can also right-click the template and use the context menu.
From the Create Features pane
The Create Feautres pane displays all templates defined for the current map.
- On the Edit tab, in the Features group, click Create .
- In the Create Features pane, right-click a group template and click Properties .
- You can also click the forward arrow and click the menu arrow on the Active Template page.
Configure the tool palette
On the Tools page, click the Construction tool category arrow and select a tool category. Set a default tool, and select the construction tools you want available in the tool palette.
- In the Template Properties dialog box, click Tools.
- Click the Construction tool category arrow and select a tool category.
- Point tools are available only for point features.
- Line tools and Radial tools are available only for point and polyline features.
- Polygon tools are available only for polygon features.
- Click and enable Click to set as default tool for the tool you want to run automatically when the template is selected.
- Check the Toggle tool visibility check box for construction tools you want available in the tool palette.
Add templates and builders
On the Builders page, to add templates and builders, click Add and select a feature template. Click the Choose a builder arrow and select a builder. The builders available to a template are determined by the feature type it creates and the primary features or temporary construction lines you create in the map with the construction tools. These relationships are summarized in Feature builder reference.
- In the Template Properties dialog box, click Builders.
- To change the (Primary) template, hover over the template name and click Edit .
- Click Add , click the Choose a feature template arrow, and click a template in the list.
- Click the Choose a builder arrow and click a builder in the list:
- If the builder displays definable properties, click the field or drop-down menu and specify how the features are to be generated.
- Click Add.
The feature template is added to the template list.
- To delete the template, hover over the template name and click Delete .
- Click OK.
Your settings are saved and the dialog box closes.