You can configure a group template in the Manage Templates or the Create Features pane. Configurable properties include the name searchable tags, tools that appear on the tool palette, and the component templates and builders that generate new features. Feature attributes are defined by the component templates. Symbology is a property of the feature layer.
Group templates use builders to create features automatically from multiple data sources on their respective layers. The template you choose as the primary template and the tool palette you enable determine what you create in the map. You can configure a group template to create primary features or temporary construction lines to drive the creation and placement of the other features.
For example, if you assign a water service polyline feature template as the primary template, you create the waterlines in the map using the pointer. Other templates, such as those for fittings, gate valves, and hydrants, can be added to the group template and configured to autogenerate these features at locations based on the geometry of the water service lines.
For steps to create a new group template, see Create a group template.
Open template properties
To open the Template Properties dialog box, in the Manage Templates or the Create Features pane, click the template, and click Properties .
From the Manage Templates pane
The Manage Templates pane displays all templates defined for the project.
- On the Edit tab in the Features group, click the Manage Templates dialog box launcher .
The Manage Templates pane appears.
- In the pane, expand the map and its layers.
- Click the layer for the template you want to configure.
Feature templates defined for the layer appear in the template box.
- In the template box, click the group template.
- On the toolbar, click Properties .
- You can also right-click the template and use the context menu.
From the Create Features pane
The Create Feautres pane displays all templates defined for the current map.
- On the Edit tab, in the Features group, click Create .
The Create Features pane appears.
- In the pane, right-click a group template and click Properties .
- You can also click the forward arrow and click the menu button .
Configure the tool palette
To configure the tool palette, click Tools, click the Construction tool category arrow and select a tool category. Set a default tool, and select the construction tools you want available in the tool palette.
- In the Template Properties dialog box, click Tools.
- Click the Construction tool category arrow and select a tool category.
- Point tools are available only for point features.
- Line tools and Radial tools are available only for point and polyline features.
- Polygon tools are available only for polygon features.
- Click and enable Click to set as default tool for the tool you want to run automatically when the template is selected.
- Check the Toggle tool visibility check box for construction tools you want available in the tool palette.
Add templates and builders
To add a component templates and a builder, click Builders, click Add and select a feature template. Click the Choose a builder arrow and select a builder. The builders available to a template are determined by the feature type it creates and the primary features or temporary construction lines you create in the map with the construction tools.
To learn more about builders, see Feature builder reference.
- In the Template Properties dialog box, click Builders.
- Click Add , click the drop-down arrow, click a template, and click Add.
- To remove the template, hover over the template name and click Delete .
- To replace the template, hover over the template name, click Edit , choose another template, and click Apply.
If only one table template exists in the project for the feature class and table, it is automatically added to the template.
- Click the Choose a builder arrow and click a builder in the list:
- If the builder displays definable properties, click the field or drop-down menu and specify how the features are to be generated.
- Click Add.
The feature template is added to the template list.
- To delete a component template, hover over the template name and click Delete .
- Click OK.
Your settings are saved and the dialog box closes.