On the Edit tab, in the Selection group, you can use the selection tools to select and edit features, identify them, and edit their attribute values in the Attributes pane. Choosing a selection tool also sets the selection method for tools in the Modify Features pane.
You can select features before clicking an editing tool or click an editing tool in the Modify Features pane, and use the selection tool that appears in the pane. Tools that contain Active Select can perform the same edit on several features while the tool remains active. When you select another feature, the current feature is finished and the tool immediately starts editing the new selection.
For steps to customize the selection tools, see Change selection settings for editing.
To select features, on the Edit tab, in the Selection group, click the Selection drop-down arrow , choose a tool, click the map, and drag the prescribed shape across the feature or features.
- On the Edit tab, in the Selection group, click the selection drop-down arrow and choose a tool.
- Click the map and drag the prescribed shape across the feature or features:
- Rectangle —Click a point feature or segment, or drag the rectangle across the feature.
- Polygon —Click the map to create the vertices of the polygon. Double-click to close the polygon and select the feature.
- Lasso —Drag the pointer to create the lasso.
- Circle —Drag the pointer to create the circle.
- Line —Click the map to create the vertices of the line. Double-click to end the line and make the selection.
- Trace —Click a polyline or polygon segment and drag the pointer along the boundary and other contiguous features. Double-click to end the trace and make the selection.
The selected features highlight on the map, and the number of features in the selection appears on the status bar at the bottom of the map view, in the Selected Features box.
- To clear the selection, on the Edit tab, in the Selection group, click Clear , or click anywhere on the map away from selectable features.
|Shift+Select||Add the selected feature|
Adds the selected feature to the selection.
|Ctrl+Select||Remove the selected feature|
Removes the selected feature from the selection.
|Ctrl+Shift+Select||Select only this feature|
Adds the selected feature to the selection and removes all other features from the selection.
Select overlapping features
To select overlapping or coincident features, select the features, click the Selection Chip arrow , and click the feature in the list.
- On the Edit tab, in the Selection group, click a selection tool and select coincident or overlapping features.
The Selection Chip appears on the map.
- Click the Selection Chip drop-down arrow and click a feature in the list.
- To highlight a feature in the map, hover over the feature in the list.
- To cycle through the selection, press the N key .
Zoom to a selection
To zoom to the extent of a selection, right-click and click Zoom To Selection on the context menu.
- On the Edit tab, in the Selection group, click the selection arrow and choose a tool.
- Select one or more features.
- Right-click and click Zoom To Selection on the context menu.
- You can also click Zoom To Selection on the status bar at the bottom of the map view.