In the Modify Features pane, Split Line divides a polyline feature into two features where you click it, and copies the attribute values from the parent feature to the new segment. Attribute values constrained by attribute domains are determined by the domain Split Policy defined by the source geodatabase.
When you split a z-enabled polyline, the angular pitch of the line segment is preserved and new vertices are assigned interpolated z-values. To learn more about how editing tools modify z-values, see the 3D z-value reference for editing.
To divide a polyline feature into two features by clicking it, click Split Line , select the feature, and click it at the location where you want the split to occur.
- On the Edit tab in the Features group, click Modify .
The Modify Features pane opens.
- Expand the Divide category and click Split Line .
- Click Active Select and select a polyline feature.
The selected features are listed in the pane.
- To prune the selection or visually confirm the selected features, right-click a feature in the list and use the following commands:
- Flash flashes the feature in the map.
- Only Select This removes all other features from the selection.
- Unselect removes the feature from the selection.
- On the Edit tab in the Snapping group, click Snapping and enable your snapping preferences.
- Click the polyline at the location where you want the split to occur.
The polyline feature splits into two features. The new segment contains attribute values copied from the parent feature.