To maintain consistent drawing between multiple layers, import the symbology of another layer file or layer. This way, the feature layer displays with the same symbology as the layer you imported from.
- Select the feature layer in the Contents pane.
- On the Appearance tab, in the Drawing group, click Import.
- The Apply Symbology From Layer geoprocessing tool opens. Define the layer you want to import from. Make sure all fields match the fields used for defining the symbology.
- Run the tool. The imported symbology is applied to the layer.
Potential errors using the tool
- The imported layer is in an invalid format, that is, you cannot apply a group layer .lyr file to a single layer.
- The import geometry type does not match the destination geometry type, that is, you cannot apply a layer file from one feature type to a different feature type.