The Select By Attributes button opens a tool to form a SQL query to select features matching a selection criteria. So instead of interactively selecting features by clicking or drawing a graphic in the map or scene, you build a query expression to generate the subset. You can query a dataset based on a field in a layer or a table.
How to select by attributes
- On the Map tab in the Selection group, click Select By Attributes to open the Select Layer By Attribute geoprocessing tool.
- If you're working in a table view, under the Table tab, on the View tab, in the Selection group, click Select By Attributes.
- Choose the layer or table name from which you want to select.
- Specify the selection method to control how to change how the selection is applied and what to do if a selection already exists in the view.
- Enter a query expression using one of the following methods:
- Click Add Clause to begin building a query.
- Click the Switch to Edit SQL Mode button and type an expression directly.
- Load a query saved to disk.
- Click the Verify button to validate the expression.
- Click Run to execute the selection query and work with the selection results.
- Zoom to your selection by clicking the results count at the bottom of the view.
- Optionally, you can save the query expression for later reuse.