The Select By Attributes tool allows you to provide a SQL query that is used to select features matching the selection criteria. So instead of selecting features by clicking or drawing a graphic interactively in the map or scene view, you can provide a query expression to generate the subset. You can query a dataset based on a field in a layer or a table.
How to use Select By Attributes
On the Map tab in the Selection group, click Select By Attributes to open the Select By Attributes geoprocessing tool.
- If you're working in a Table View, click Select By Attributes on the Table tab in the Selection group.
- Choose the layer or table name that you want to perform the selection against.
- Specify the selection method if you want to change how the selection is applied and what to do if a selection already exists in the view.
- Enter a query expression using one of the following methods:
- Clicking Add Clause to begin building a query.
- Clicking the SQL button to switch to Edit SQL Mode and type your expression directly.
- Load a query saved to disk.
- Validate your added expression by clicking Verify .
- Click Run to execute your selection query and work with your selection results.
- Zoom to your selection by clicking the results count at the bottom of the view.
- Optionally, you can save your query expression for later reuse.