Single symbol symbology applies the same symbol to all features in a layer. This symbology is used for drawing a layer with just one category such as county boundaries.
- Select a feature layer in the Contents pane.
- On the Appearance tab, in the Drawing group, click Symbology and click Single Symbol.
The Symbology pane appears.
- Type a Label and a Description. The label is used in the Contents pane. Both the label and the description appear in legends on a layout.
- Click the symbol to open the Format Symbol pane where you can modify the symbol or pick a different one.
Vary single symbol symbology by transparency, rotation, or size
You can add variation to the symbols by varying the transparency, rotation, and size of the symbols with attribute values. While all of these treatments can be applied simultaneously, be aware that too many visual variations make the layer very difficult to interpret. It is advisable to apply secondary symbology sparingly.
- On the Symbology pane, click and click Vary symbology by attribute.
- Expand Transparency, Rotation, or Size. In the case of polygon features, expand Outline width instead of Size.