Using the Maplex Label Engine to align horizontal labels to a graticule rotates all horizontal labels for a particular label class to a tangential line along the graticule for the data frame. To have your labels align with the graticule lines, the data frame must be set to a projected coordinate system. There are four graticule alignment types to choose from:
- Straight (no flip)
- Curved (no flip)
The Straight and Curved options place the label in alignment with the graticule and orient it to the page. The Straight (no flip) and Curved (no flip) options allow the label to be drawn upside down to align with the graticule.
If the data is not in projected coordinates, the labels will not align. They will remain in their original position.Learn more about map projections
The following image shows point labels oriented to graticules.
- Ensure the Maplex Label Engine is enabled.
- Ensure Labeling is the active way of displaying the Contents pane.
- Choose a label class in the Contents pane and click the Labeling tab.
- On the Labeling tab, in the Label Placement group, click Label Placement Properties .
- In the Labeling pane, click Position and click .
- Expand Orientation.
- Choose the graticule alignment type: Straight, Straight (no flip), Curved, or Curved (no flip).