The Maplex Label Engine applies label-fitting strategies in the order that they are listed on the Fitting strategy tab. You can control the order in which the label-fitting strategies are applied to the placement of the label by reordering the list of strategies. The Maplex Label Engine attempts to place the labels according to this strategy order, but if an increased number of labels can be placed by changing the preferred strategy order, the label engine applies a new order.
- Ensure the Maplex Label Engine is enabled.
- Ensure Labeling is the active way of displaying the Contents pane.
- Select a label class in the Contents pane and click the Labeling tab.
- On the Labeling tab, in the Label Placement group, click Label Placement Properties .
- On the Labeling pane, click Position and click .
- Expand Strategy order.
- Click the Up and Down arrow buttons to either promote or demote the value in the list.
You can select multiple label-fitting strategies at the same time by pressing the Shift key.