When using the Standard Label Engine to label line and polygon layers, you can choose one of the following three options for handling duplicate labels.
There are no duplicate label options when labeling point features.
- Remove all duplicates—This is the default when labeling line features. When two or more contiguous line features have the same label text string, only one label is placed. When labeling polygon features, only one label is placed; the features need not be contiguous. This prevents displaying potentially many of the same labels on your map.
- One label per feature—A label is placed for every feature. Duplicate labels are not removed. If you have a multipart feature, this option places one label for the entire multipart polygon.
- One label per part—This is the default when labeling polygon features. A label is placed for each part of a multipart feature. Duplicates are not removed.
If you enable the Maplex Label Engine, you will see different options for working with duplicate labels.
- Ensure the Standard Label Engine is enabled.
- Ensure Labeling is the active way of displaying the Contents pane.
- Select a label class in the Contents pane and click the Labeling tab.
- On the Labeling tab, in the Label Placement group, click Label Placement Properties .
- On the Labeling pane, click Position and click .
- Select the duplicate label option to use.
Depending on your scale, you might not see labels as you expect, because overlapping labels are not allowed by default. To override this setting, use the Place overlapping labels option.