Some items in a project can be renamed if the item is writable and you have the appropriate credentials to make the change. The following methods are available to rename those items:
- Right-click an item and click Rename.
- Click an item to select it and do one of the following:
- Press F2.
- Click its name.
- On the browse dialog box, click an item to select it, click the Organize menu, and click Rename.
- The Rename geoprocessing tool may be able to rename items that cannot be renamed using the other methods listed above.
Renaming may have a different result for each type of item. Renaming might change the name of an item stored within a project or toolbox, change the name of files stored on disk, or update the name of an item in a database. In each case, different restrictions may affect the characters allowed in the item's name. When an item is successfully renamed, the ArcGIS Pro search index is updated with the new name if the item is indexed. A message will appear indicating the operation was unsuccessful if a problem occurs.
The following project items can be renamed:
- Maps and layouts—The name is updated in the project. In addition to the options listed above, these items can be renamed when they are open by selecting the map or layout in the Contents pane and clicking its name. Also, you can right-click the map or layout and click Properties, and change its name on the General tab on the Properties dialog box.
- Tasks—The name is updated in the project. These items can only be renamed in Task Designer.
- Folder connections—The folder on disk is renamed and the folder connection's name and location are updated in the project.
- Enterprise database connections and ArcGIS Server connections—The connection file stored on disk is renamed, and the item's name and location are updated in the project. These items can be renamed if they have been added to a project and are accessed from the Databases and Servers categories, respectively. They cannot be renamed when accessed from a folder connection.
- File geodatabases and toolboxes—The files on disk are renamed. If the item has been added to the project, its name and location are also updated in the project. These items can be renamed when accessed from the Databases and Toolboxes categories, respectively, and also when they are accessed from a folder connection.
The following items can also be renamed:
- Folders—The folder on disk is renamed and the contents list is updated.
- Database items—The name of the item, such as a table or feature class, is updated in the database and the contents list is updated.
- Shapefiles, raster datasets, LAS datasets, and locators—All files associated with the item are renamed on disk and the contents list is updated.
- Tools—The name of the item is updated in the toolbox and the contents list is updated. Models and scripts can be renamed by pressing F2, by clicking the name of the selected tool, and on their Properties dialog box; a Rename option is not available on the context menu.
Projects cannot be renamed in ArcGIS Pro. However, you can provide a project with a new name by saving a copy of the current project file (.aprx) to a new project file with the desired name. Click the Project tab on the ribbon, and click Save As.