A task is created in a task item. Before you create a new task, you need to create a new task item. Task items are stored with the currently open project and are listed under Tasks on the Catalog pane. A task item is shared by exporting the task item to an .esriTasks file. An .esriTasks file can be imported and opened in other projects.
To create a new task item, follow these steps:
- In your project, click the View tab and click Tasks to open the Tasks pane.
- Click Task > New Task Item on the Insert tab on the ArcGIS Pro ribbon.
- On the Task Designer pane, type a name, author and description for your task item.
The task item author and description are optional. If you do not enter a task item name, the task item is given a default name. The task item description should provide a high-level overview of what the tasks in your task item will achieve.
- Type a version number for your task item under Task Version.
Each time you update your task item, you can change the version number. This helps you track the version of the task item when it is shared and used on multiple machines. Entering a version number also allows your users to confirm that they are using the latest version of the task item.
- Save the project to save the new task item.
- Close the Task Designer pane to finish creating your task item or click New Task on the Tasks pane to create a new task.
Edit the task item
You can edit the properties of a task item in the Task Designer pane. Select the task item heading on the Tasks pane, click Options, and click Edit In Designer to edit the task item name, author, description, and version number.