Network attributes are associated with attributes on features in your network. They are derived from feature attributes and cached inside the network topology to aid in performance while feature attributes are evaluated during a trace. The values stored as attributes for features on a map are reflected or updated in the associated network attribute each time you validate the network topology.
Before you assign a network attribute to a field, the following requirements must be met:
The network topology must be disabled.
- The network attribute data type must match the field data type to which it is assigned.
- Network attributes that do not support nulls can only be assigned to fields that share the same constraint for null values.
- While a feature class can support multiple network attributes, a network attribute cannot be assigned to multiple fields in the same feature class.
Assign a network attribute to a field
To assign a network attribute to a field in a network feature class, complete the following steps:
- On the Analysis tab, in the Geoprocessing group, click Tools to open the Geoprocessing pane.
- In the Geoprocessing pane, search for and select the Set Network Attribute tool from the Trace Network toolbox.
- For the Input Trace Network parameter, specify a trace network.
- For the Network Attribute parameter, select a network attribute from the available options to assign to a feature class.
- For the Input Feature Class parameter, select a trace network feature class from the available options.
- For the Field parameter, select the feature class field where you want the network attribute to be assigned.
- Click Run.
The network attribute is assigned to the specified field on the network class.