A network category is a tag used to represent a characteristic of an asset in your network. They are created and assigned to network features for specific asset group and asset type combinations.
Add network categories to a utility network using the Add Network Category tool. The new network category can then be assigned to a network class for a specific asset group or asset type using the Set Network Category tool.
Before you can create a network category, the following requirements must be met:
- The network topology must be disabled.
- When working with an enterprise geodatabase, ensure the following:
Add a network category
To add a network category, complete the following steps:
- On the Analysis tab, in the Geoprocessing group, click Tools to open the Geoprocessing pane.
- In the Geoprocessing pane, search for and select Add Network Category.
- For the Input Utility Network parameter, specify the utility network where the new category will be added.
- For the Category Name parameter, specify a name for the new category.
- Click Run.
The new category is added to the specified utility network. The network category can now be assigned to a network class for a specific asset group and asset type using the Set Network Category tool. For specific steps, see Set or modify a network category assignment.