A subnetwork represents a topological subpart within a tier where all the connected features are defined by the same subnetwork controllers. To create a subnetwork, a subnetwork controller is set, the network topology is validated, and the subnetwork is updated.
Subnetwork controllers allow you to specify the origin and name of a subnetwork. The network topology must be validated to incorporate new subnetwork controllers. The subnetwork must also be updated to apply the subnetwork name to any connected features; create a row in the Subnetworks table; generate a feature in the SubnetLine class; and, if applicable, generate a subnetwork system diagram.
The following requirements must be met before you can create a subnetwork:
- The network topology must be enabled.
- The name of the subnetwork must be unique within the utility network.
- The name of the subnetwork controller must be unique within the tier.
- The asset type of the subnetwork controller must have the Subnetwork Controller network category.
- The asset type of the subnetwork controller must have a directional terminal configuration if the domain network's tier definition is partitioned.
- The device feature to be set as a subnetwork controller must have an available terminal; a downstream terminal for source-based networks, and an upstream terminal for sink-based networks.
This is an overview of the workflow associated with creating a subnetwork. Click each link to learn more.
- Set a subnetwork controller by specifying a terminal as a subnetwork controller.
This step writes a new row into the Subnetworks table and the Is Dirty attribute is marked as true.
- Validate the network topology to make it aware of the new subnetwork controller.
- Update the subnetwork to refresh subnetwork information and generate any corresponding subnetwork system diagrams.
This step updates the Is Dirty attribute to false for the row in the Subnetworks table and creates a feature in the SubnetLine class. If a diagram template was specified when setting the subnetwork definition, a new subnetwork system diagram is generated.
A subnetwork is created.