In the Create Features pane, the rectangle construction tool for polyline and polygon features creates single-part and multipart features. This tool allows you to sketch a prescribed square or rectangular shape and does not show the segment construction toolbar.
Vertices for z-enabled features are assigned z-values based on the current elevation input mode setting. To learn more, see Specify an elevation for 3D features.
To create a square or rectangular polyline or polygon feature, create the first and second vertex for one side of the feature, and then create a third vertex that defines the opposite corners.
- In the Catalog pane, do one of the following to add the layer to your map:
- Expand Databases , expand the database containing your data, and drag the feature class onto the map.
- Right-click the default database and create a new polyline or polygon feature class.
Creating a feature class or dragging one onto a map adds the layer to the current map and creates a feature template with default settings.
- On the Edit tab, in the Snapping group, enable your snapping preferences.
You can press and hold the spacebar to temporarily turn snapping off as you sketch a feature.
- On the Edit tab, in the Features group, click Create .
The Create Features pane appears.
- In the pane, click a polygon feature template.
The construction toolbar appears at the bottom of the map.
- Next to the tool palette, click the Active template button .
The tool palette and the feature attribute table for the template appear in the pane.
- In the attribute table, type the values you want to apply to the new feature.
- For group templates, click a template icon to display its attribute table.
- Click Rectangle .
- Create the first and second vertex for one side of the feature, using one of the following methods:
- Click the map.
- Right-click, click Absolute X,Y,Z or press the F6 key, type the values in the dialog box, and press Enter.
- Create a third vertex that defines the opposite corners of the feature, using one of the following methods:
- Click the map.
- Right-click and use the context menu to specify x,y,z coordinate location, or distance and direction.
- To create a square, right-click, click Width , type the width, click Height , and type the same distance.
Specify absolute X,Y,Z .
Open the Absolute X,Y,Z dialog box.
Specify the direction .
Open the Direction dialog box.
Make the shape a square.
Constrain the shape to a square. Create the first point of the rectangle, press the keyboard shortcut, and drag.