Change Length trims or extends the length of a polyline feature. A value greater than its current length extends the line. A value less than its current length trims the line. The tool is available on the context menu when you edit vertices or resume sketching a polyline feature.
The direction of the edit is determined by a positive or a negative value. A positive value preserves the first vertex and a negative value preserves the last vertex.
When you edit a z-enabled polyline, the new vertex is assigned an interpolated z-value and the angular pitch of the line is preserved.
For steps to use this tool as you create a feature, see Trim or extend an unfinished line.
- On the Edit tab in the Features group, click Modify .
The Modify Features pane appears.
- Expand Reshape and click Vertices .
The tool opens in the pane.
- In the pane, click Active Select and select a polyline feature.
The selection appears as a list in the pane, and the vertices toolbar appears at the bottom of the map.
- If you select more than one feature, click an item in the list to flash it in the map, right-click the feature you want to edit, and click Only Select This on the context menu.
- To reverse the direction of the polyline and switch the end to be trimmed, right-click and click Reverse Direction .
- Right-click the segment.
The context menu appears.
- Click Change Length .
The dialog box appears.
- Click the unit format drop-down arrow and set the unit format.
- Type the new length in the text box and press Enter.
- To trim the line, type a length less than its current length.
- To extend the line, type a length greater than its current length.
A positive value preserves the first vertex. A negative value preserves the last vertex.
- On the vertices toolbar, click Finish or press the F2 key.