Versions can be deleted when they are no longer needed. For example, you can delete a version after work is completed and all edits have been reconciled and posted to default.
For branch versioning, versions can be deleted in the Versions view or using the Delete Version tool. Only the owner of the version or the version administrator for the feature service can delete a version.
Before you delete any version, consider the following:
- The version cannot be in use.
- If you delete a version containing unreconciled edits and that was not posted to default, you will lose all edits.
- You cannot delete the default version; it is required for your geodatabase to function.
- You cannot delete a version that is referenced by a replica.
Delete a version in the Versions view
To delete a branch version in the Versions view, complete the following steps:
- Open the Versions view.
- Click the leftmost column next to the version name to select the entire row.
To delete more than one version, press the Shift key to select multiple rows.
- Right-click and click Delete. Alternatively, press Delete on your keyboard, or click the Delete button on the Versions tab.
If you did not save your edits and want to return the deleted version to its original state, right-click the row and click Restore. The strikethrough is removed and the version is not deleted.
- Click Save on the Versions tab to commit the changes.
The specified version is deleted from the geodatabase.
Tip:The geodatabase administrator can delete versions in the Versions view or using the Delete Version tool from a database connection.
Delete a version using the Delete Version tool
To delete a branch version using the Delete Version geoprocessing tool, complete the following steps:
- On the Analysis tab, in the Geoprocessing group, click Tools to open the Geoprocessing pane.
- In the Geoprocessing pane, search for and select Delete Version.
- For the Input Workspace parameter, browse to and select the feature service workspace.
- For the Version Name parameter, select the version you want to delete from the drop-down list.
- Click Run.