Some maps have areas that are crowded with labels. This can decrease the readability of a map, especially when it becomes unclear which features are being labeled. You can use the Standard Label Engine to create a buffer around your labels, effectively making the label size larger than the actual text and thus preventing labels from being placed close to each other.
- Ensure the Standard Label Engine is enabled.
- Ensure List By Labeling is the active method of displaying the Contents pane. Click List by Labeling .
- Choose a label class in the Contents pane and click the Labeling tab.
- On the Labeling tab, in the Label Placement group, click Label Placement Properties .
- In the Labeling pane, click Position and click .
- Type a value in the Label buffer ratio input box.
A value of 0 will result in no buffer, and a value of 1 will create a buffer the size of the label.