The Maplex Label Engine applies label-fitting strategies in the order that they are listed on the Fitting strategy tab. You can control the order in which the label-fitting strategies are applied to the placement of the label by reordering the list of strategies. The Maplex Label Engine attempts to place the labels according to this strategy order, but if an increased number of labels can be placed by changing the preferred strategy order, the label engine applies a new order.
Key numbering is not listed as a strategy to be ordered. If enabled, it will always be tried after all other strategies.
- Ensure the Maplex Label Engine is enabled.
- Ensure List By Labeling is the active method of displaying the Contents pane. Click List by Labeling .
- Choose a label class in the Contents pane and click the Labeling tab.
- On the Labeling tab, in the Label Placement group, click Label Placement Properties .
- In the Labeling pane, click Position and click .
- Expand Strategy order.
- Click the Up and Down arrow buttons to either promote or demote the value in the list.
You can select multiple label-fitting strategies at the same time by pressing the Shift key.