Before you share a scene to the web, you can configure the properties of its new web layers. A scene may contain layers of several different types, such as feature, raster, multipatch, and elevation layers. When you share the scene, feature layers (except 3D point layers) are shared as web feature layers. Raster layers are shared as tile layers. Multipatch and 3D point layers are shared as scene layers. Raster elevation layers are shared as web elevation layers if they are used as ground elevation surfaces in the scene. Otherwise, they are shared as tile layers.
Learn more about web layer types
The configurable properties of each type of web layer are different and are not discussed in detail here. Each web layer type has its own configuration topic you can refer to for more information as follows:
- Configure a web feature layer
- Configure a web tile layer
- Configure a web scene layer
- Configure a web elevation layer
This workflow explains how to change the configuration of layers in your web scene. To begin the sharing process, analyze your web scene, and share the scene, see Share a web scene.
- In the Share As Web Scene pane, click the Content tab.
- Click the New Content tab if necessary.
The web scene and new web layers that will be created are displayed in the pane.
Click the Existing Content tab to see any existing web layers in your scene.
You can change the web layer type of some layers in your scene. For example, you can change a web feature layer to a tile layer to improve the drawing speed of the web scene. However, you will lose the specific capabilities of the web feature layer—you can't query, style, or analyze a tile layer.
- To change a web feature layer to a tile layer , click the web feature layer (or a sublayer) to select it and click the Change to Web Tile Layer button . Alternatively right-click the layer and click Change to Web Tile Layer.
To change the layer type back again, select the tile layer and click the Change to Web Feature Layer button . (The same button performs both functions.)
- To change a 3D point web scene layer to a web feature layer , click the web scene layer (or a sublayer) to select it and click the Remove web scene layer button . Alternatively right-click the layer and click Remove web scene layer.
The web scene layer and its associated web feature layer are replaced by a web feature layer that is grouped with other web feature layers. To change the layer type back again, select the web feature layer and click the Add to web scene layer button . (The same button performs both functions.)
- To configure a web layer, click to select it and click the Properties button . Alternatively right-click the web layer and click Configure Web Layer Properties.
The following tabs appear on the pane:
- General—Change the web layer name, its item information, and the portal folder where it will be stored.
- Configuration—Configure properties that vary according to the web layer type.
- Content—View the layer content that will be shared.
If you share to an ArcGIS Enterprise portal, click the Configure Web Layer Properties button on the Configuration tab to access the web layer properties.
All tile and web elevation layers must use the same tiling scheme. Changing the tiling scheme of one cached web layer will update the tiling scheme of all other cached web layers and overwrite any changes made to Levels of Detail.
- When you finish configuring a layer, click the Back button at the top of the pane.