Available for an ArcGIS organization licensed with the IPS extension.
The Beacons feature class is part of the IPS Core Model and is an optional layer of an ArcGIS IPS map. It can be used to maintain information about the configuration of a Bluetooth beacon deployment or to plan a new one, in the case of Bluetooth-based installations of ArcGIS IPS.
Beacons is a point feature class that includes beacon features located in a facility, together with several other attributes, and can be updated using the ArcGIS Field Maps mobile app or by editing the Beacons feature class in ArcGIS Pro or Map Viewer.
If the IPS map is not configured as floor aware, configure the map and additional floor plan layers as floor aware before completing the following steps. Configuring the map and the Beacons layer as floor aware allows you to visualize and modify the data by floor using the floor filter. Adding and visualizing beacons is optional for any IPS-enabled web map.
Complete the following steps to create Beacons features in ArcGIS Pro:
- Open an IPS map or prepare a new one in ArcGIS Pro.
- If the IPS map does not contain the Beacons feature class, add it to the map.
- Optionally, configure the Beacons layer as floor aware.
- On the Edit tab in the Features group, click Create .
The Create Features pane appears and lists the feature templates defined for the active map.
- In the Create Features pane, click the Beacons feature template.
The Beacons template expands, showing the tool palette.
- On the Beacons template, click Active template.
The tool palette and the feature attribute table for the Beacons template appear.
- In the attribute table, set the field values for the beacon feature.
- In the Create Features pane, click Point to create a point feature.
- Draw the point where you want to sketch a beacon feature, as shown in the example below.
- Create a beacon feature for each beacon in the facility.
- Change the attribute values to match the correct attribute values of the beacons for each beacon you create.
- Click Save to save your edits.
Beacons features you have created can now be used to maintain information about deployed Bluetooth beacons in your facilities or as a guide for a future Bluetooth beacon deployment to enable ArcGIS IPS.