This workflow is for software license administrators, including administrators of ArcGIS Trial organizations.
Before you can authorize ArcGIS Pro Named User licenses, you must set up your ArcGIS Online organization. The steps below give an overview of the process and are focused on the part most relevant to licensing: adding members to the organization.
Activate your subscription
To begin, you need to activate your ArcGIS Online subscription or ArcGIS Trial. The steps are outlined below. For detailed steps, see Activate subscription in the ArcGIS Online help.
- Open the email from Esri Customer Service that has the link to activate your ArcGIS Online subscription or ArcGIS Trial.
The person who activates the subscription automatically becomes the administrator of the ArcGIS Online organization. If you are not the intended administrator, forward the email to the appropriate person.
If you can’t find the activation email, you can request your ArcGIS Online activation code. (Scroll down to see the form.)
- Click the activation link to open the Sign In page.
- If you are already using ArcGIS Online, sign in with your existing user name and password. If you are new to ArcGIS Online, click Create a New Account.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to create your account.
Set up your organization
After you sign in or complete the sign-up process, the Set Up Your Organization page appears. The steps are outlined below. For detailed steps, see Configure general settings in the ArcGIS Online help.
- Follow the instructions on the Set Up Your Organization page to configure basic settings for your organization.
- Click Save and Continue.
If you have an ArcGIS Trial, a Welcome message appears with a prompt to download ArcGIS Pro and other apps. You can continue setting up the organization and download the software later. On the Welcome message, click Continue with ArcGIS Online. See Notes for ArcGIS Trial users for information on downloading the software after you set up your organization.
Add members to your organization
ArcGIS Pro licenses can be assigned only to members of your ArcGIS Online organization. The basic steps to add members are outlined below. For detailed steps, see Invite and add members in the ArcGIS Online help.
- At the top of your ArcGIS Online organization site, click Organization. Under your organization name, click the Overview tab if necessary.
Membership information is displayed in the lower left corner of the Overview tab.
- At the top of the Members section, click Invite Members.
You can also invite members on the Members tab.
There are three ways to add members:
- Add members without sending invitations.
- Add members and notify them via email.
- Invite members to join using an account of their choice.
The default option is to add members without sending invitations. The option to invite members to join using an account of their choice is used to invite people who already have ArcGIS Online public accounts and want to bring their public account content into the organization.
- Choose one of the methods and follow the prompts to add members to the organization.
When you add a member, the member is assigned a user type and role. By default, there are two user types in an organization: Creator (formerly called Level 2) and Viewer (formerly called Level 1). The Creator user type is compatible with an ArcGIS Pro license; the Viewer user type is not. You specify a member's user type when you add them to the organization, but you can change it at any time afterward.
Other user types with different capabilities can be purchased for your organization. For example, the GIS Professional user type automatically includes an ArcGIS Pro license. For more information about user types, see User types, roles, and privileges in the ArcGIS Online help. You can compare user types and make purchases at ArcGIS Online subscriptions.
Once members are added to your organization, continue with Assign ArcGIS Pro licenses in ArcGIS Online.