A raster function template contains a chain of functions and inputs as values or variables. The function template can then be added to a mosaic dataset, a mosaic dataset item, or a function raster layer to process pixels on-the-fly.
A function template contains raster functions as well as properties of the template:
- Name—The template name.
- Description—The description of the template.
- Help—The help content that you want users to see when using this template.
- Type—Indicates the template applied to a mosaic dataset, mosaic dataset items, or item groups specified in the Definition Query.
- Group Field Name—The field name in the mosaic dataset that defines a group. This only appears when you select Item Group as the Type.
- Tag Field Name—The field name in the mosaic dataset that contains the variable names used in raster functions. This only appears when you select Item Group as the Type.
- Thumbnail—A snapshot of the mosaic dataset can be added to the template as an image.
When you select Item Group as the Type, you can use the Group Field Name and Tag Field Name properties to group items so that multiple items from a mosaic dataset can be passed to a raster function or raster function chain. This workflow is typically used for multidimensional mosaic datasets where rasters with the same dimension values are considered one group, and tag names are usually used as the variables used in the computation. For more information, see Using Mosaic Dataset Items in Raster Function Templates.