Available with Data Reviewer license.
In this exercise, you will use the errors found during automated data review to identify and correct features which do not meet quality requirements. You will also update the status of error results to document your progress.
ArcGIS Pro 2.1 or later
The data for this tutorial is available from the Data Reviewer for ArcGIS Pro Tutorial page. This package contains an ArcGIS Pro project package and a subset of the Local Government sample data. To download the data, follow these steps:
Open the project
In this exercise, you will open a project package using ArcGIS Pro and verify its contents.
ArcGIS Pro and sign in if necessary.
If you have not already downloaded the Data Reviewer for ArcGIS Pro tutorial data, see the data requirements listed above.
- On the start page, under your recent projects, click Open another project.
If you already have a project open, click Open on the Quick Access Toolbar and go to step 4.
- On the Open page, under Open, click Computer and click Browse .
- Browse to the Data_Reviewer\Exercise_5 folder on the Open Project dialog box.
The Data_Reviewer\Exercise_5 folder is located in the directory where the Data Reviewer for ArcGIS Pro tutorial package was extracted.
- Select DataReviewerArcGISProTutorial_Exercise5.ppkx.
- Click OK.
Review error results
Error results are created through multiple workflows including automated validation of features using validation check and semi-automated workflows such as redlines created when visually reviewing data against an authoritative source. Regardless of how these results were created, they are stored in a geodatabase to enable centralized management and reporting of known data errors.
In this exercise, you will work in the Reviewer Results pane and browse results created during validation. The Reviewer Results pane enables you to view, interact with, and manage the results of your data validation.
- In the Catalog pane, expand Reviewer Results.
- Expand Session Results, right-click 1 : ArcGIS Pro Tutorial, and click Open.
The Reviewer Results pane opens and displays the error results created in previous exercises. This information includes the life cycle and status of the result, the unique identifier and source of the error, a descriptive title, and the severity of the error relative to other errors.
- On the Edit tab, in the Data Reviewer group, click Manage Quality to activate the Manage Quality tab.
- On the Manage Quality tab, in the Results group, click Symbolize to display error layers in the active map for the error results displayed in the Reviewer Results pane.
The Symbolize menu contains interactive controls for managing display settings.
- In the Reviewer Results pane, from the Reviewer Results menu , click the Feature Results filter to display only those error results associated with features and rows in your map.
- Double-click the ID column header to sort errors in ascending order.
- Click the row expander (+) for feature 9 to display details of the result.
The row expands to display details that include a description of the error, user-defined notes, and life cycle information such as the user name associated with identifying, correcting, and verifying the error.
- Double-click the row header of an error result to zoom to and select the feature associated with the error.
The feature in error is selected, and the map zooms to it.
- In the Reviewer Results pane, right-click the row header of another result and click Pan To Results.
The feature in error is selected and the map pans to it.
Correct error results
Reviewer error results follow a defined life cycle that progresses through three distinct cycles. All errors begin in the Review cycle, where they are assessed and corrective actions are taken. Once an error is corrected (or marked as an exception) it then progresses to the Corrected cycle, where the related feature is assessed to ensure that the correction applied is appropriate. Errors that have been corrected properly are moved into the Verified cycle. Errors that fail verification are returned to the Review cycle for additional work.
In this exercise, you will review some of the error results and perform edits to correct some of the features that do not quality requirements. After correcting the feature, you will then update the life cycle of the error result.
- In the Reviewer Results pane, double-click the ID column header in the Reviewer Results pane to sort the results in ascending order.
- Right-click the row header for feature 204 and click Zoom To Results.
The feature is selected and the map zooms to the Mill School facility point feature. The point needs to be moved to the center of the polygon feature and the edits must be saved.
- Move, rotate, or scale a feature for the Mill School site.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for FacilitySitePoint (ID: 323).
- Once both points are moved, select FacilitySitePoint (ID: 204) and FacilitySitePoint (ID: 323) in the Reviewer Results pane.
- Right-click the row header of the selected errors and click Update Results.
The Update Results pane appears with the results listed under the Review cycle group.
- Select the FacilitySitePoint (ID: 204) result in the tree view.
- Click the Update Correction Status drop-down arrow in the Status pane and choose Resolved.
- Type Moved facility point in the Correction Notes text box.
- Uncheck the Automatically verify result check box in the Status pane.
When Automatically verify result is checked, error results that have been corrected are automatically moved to the to the Verified state.
- Click Apply.
The error's status changes to Resolved, and it appears under a new Correction cycle group in the tree view. The icon for the result also changes in the Reviewer Results pane.
- Repeat steps 7 through 11 for FacilitySitePoint (ID: 323).
Both results are now in the Correction cycle.
Verify error results
After error results are in the Correction cycle, another analyst can review the corrected feature and verify that they have been resolved correctly. The verification part of the workflow allows you to move errors to the Verified state which ends the life cycle.
In this exercise, you will verify that all features have been corrected properly and update the status of related errors to the Corrected cycle.
- In the Update Results pane, click FacilitySitePoint (ID: 204) found in the Correction cycle group.
- Click the Update Verification Status drop-down arrow in the Status pane and choose Acceptable.
- Type Error Verified in the Verification Notes text box.
- Click Apply.
The error's status changes to Acceptable, and it appears in a new Verification cycle group in the tree view. The icon for the record also changes in the Reviewer Results pane.
- Repeat steps 1 through 4 for FacilitySitePoint (ID: 323).
All results are thus verified.
- On the Quick Access Toolbar, optionally click Save to save the project.
Once you are finished, no more results will be in the Corrected state on the Update Results pane. You have completed the quality assurance workflow by adding error results to your project to validate your data using configured checks implemented in your project using either Reviewer batch jobs or map-based Reviewer rules. Finally, you have reviewed, corrected, and verified error results returned by automated validation.