Available with Standard or Advanced license.
In the Modify Features pane, Construct Polygons creates new polygon features from polyline features for each closed boundary you select in a map. You can specify the layer on which the new polygon features are generated.
For example, you can select existing lot lines on a survey plat feature layer and generate new parcel polygon features for each closed area.
Optional settings include the cluster tolerance, and the ability to include the geometry of existing polygons residing on the output layer as part of the boundary input geometry.
To construct polygons, select the polyline features from which you want to create the new polygons, choose a feature template, and click Construct.
- On the Edit tab, in the Features group, click Modify .
The Modify Features pane appears.
- Expand Construct and click Construct Polygons .
The tool opens in the pane.
- Click Active Select and select the polyline features from which you want to create the new polygon features. The features must be on the same layer.
The selected features appear as a list in the pane.
- To refine your selection, right-click a feature in the list and use the following commands on the context menu:
- Flash —Flashes the selected features in the map.
- Zoom To —Zooms the view to the selected features.
- Pan To —Pans the view to the selected features.
- Only Select This —Removes all other features from the selection.
- Unselect —Removes the feature from the selection.
- Click the Template arrow and choose a feature template.
The template specifies the layer on which the new polygon features are generated.
- To change the default tolerance setting, click the Cluster Tolerance box and change the value.
The default XY tolerance is 0.001 meters or its equivalent in feature units. For most use cases, the default setting is the best practice.
Features are processed as closed boundaries when their geometry falls within the tolerance distance. Increasing the cluster tolerance can potentially reduce the spatial accuracy of your results and distort the new polygons.
- To include the geometry of existing polygons residing on the output layer as part of the boundary input geometry, check Use existing features in target.
This setting creates new polygons using the selected features and the existing polygon features as boundaries.
- Click Construct.