Midpoint creates a vertex between two consecutive points you click on a map. It is available on the construction toolbar when you create a line or a polygon feature.
When using it with other construction tools, the active sketch is suspended until the vertex is added and a segment from the previous vertex is drawn.
This tool can be useful when you need to create a linear feature midway between two features. For example, you can create a vertex between two parcels on opposing sides of a road and then use other construction tools to complete a road centerline.
Create a midpoint vertex
Creating a midpoint vertex works transparently with other segment construction tools. After a vertex is created and a line segment is drawn from the previous vertex, you can click a different construction tool and continue sketching the feature.
- In the Catalog pane, do one of the following to add the layer to your map:
- Expand Databases , expand the database containing your data, and drag the feature class onto the map.
- Right-click the default database, click New, click Feature Class , type the feature class name, choose the geometry type, choose the coordinate system, and click Run .
The layer is added to the current map, and a feature template with default settings is automatically created.
- On the Edit tab, in the Features group, click Create .
The Create Features pane appears.
- In the pane, click a polyline, or polygon feature template.
The template expands to show the tool palette.
- Next to the tool palette, click the Active Template button .
The tool palette and the feature attribute table for the active template appear in the pane.
- In the attribute table, type the values you want to apply to the new feature.
- On the Edit tab, in the Snapping group, click Snapping , enable your snapping preferences, and move the pointer back to the map.
- Click Line or Polygon .
The construction toolbar appears.
- You can click the map and begin creating the feature or use the tool to create the first vertex at the midpoint between two points.
- On the toolbar, click the segment tool drop-down arrow and click Midpoint .
The sketch temporarily suspends creating segments until the vertex is created.
- Click two points on the map between which you want to create a vertex.
The tool creates the vertex and draws a line segment from the previous vertex, if it exists.
- You can continue creating segments at midpoints or click another tool on the construction toolbar and create connecting line or arc segments.
- On the toolbar, click Finish , or press the F2 key.