In the Modify Features pane, Reshape replaces segments of a feature with new geometry you create in the map where the first and last segments cross or touch the feature. The z-values for z-enabled feature segments are preserved. Vertices created where the new geometry crosses the selected feature are assigned the z-values of the new geometry.
Attribute values of the original feature are preserved. For steps to replace all geometry for polyline or polygon feature, see Replace feature geometry.
To replace segments of a feature with new geometry, click Reshape , click the Features tab in the pane, and select the feature. Create the new geometry across the existing feature. You can cross the existing feature more than once, providing the first and last segments cross or touch the feature.
- On the Edit tab in the Features group, click Modify .
The Modify Features pane appears.
- Expand Reshape and click Reshape .
The tool opens in the pane.
- In the pane, click the Features tab.
Feature editing mode is enabled.
- To reshape editable features without selecting them, check Allow reshaping without a selection in the pane and proceed to step 7.
- In the pane, click Active Select , and select the feature you want to reshape.
The selection appears as a list in the pane, and the construction toolbar appears at the bottom of the map.
- To refine your selection, right-click a feature in the list and use the following commands on the context menu:
- Flash —Flashes the selected features in the map.
- Zoom To —Zooms the view to the selected features.
- Pan To —Pans the view to the selected features.
- Only Select This —Removes all other features from the selection.
- Unselect —Removes the feature from the selection.
- On the Edit tab in the Snapping group, enable your snapping preferences.
- Press and hold the Spacebar to temporarily turn snapping off.
- Create the new segments using the tools on the construction toolbar. You can cross the existing feature more than once, providing the first and last segments cross or touch the feature.
As you create the new geometry, the x, y, and z coordinates appear in the vertices table.
- To apply your changes, right-click and click Finish or press the F2 key.
The new geometry replaces segments of the selected feature where the first and last segments cross or touch the feature.