Change Length trims or extends the length of an unfinished polyline sketch. A value greater than its current length extends the line. A value less than its current length trims the line. The tool is available on the context menu when you create a polyline feature.
The direction of the edit is determined by a positive or a negative value. A positive value preserves the first vertex and a negative value preserves the last vertex.
When you create a z-enabled polyline, the new vertex is assigned an interpolated z-value and the angular pitch of the line is preserved.
For steps to use this tool as you edit vertices, see Trim or extend a polyline feature.
- On the Edit tab in the Features group, click Create .
The Create Features pane appears.
- Click a polyline feature template.
The template displays a tool palette, runs the default construction tool, and the construction toolbar appears at the bottom of the map.
- Click the map and create at least two vertices.
- Right-click the segment.
The context menu appears.
- Click Change Length .
The dialog box appears.
- Click the unit format drop-down arrow and set the unit format.
- Type the new length in the text box and press Enter.
- To trim the line, type a length less than its current length.
- To extend the line, type a length greater than its current length.
A positive value preserves the first vertex. A negative value preserves the last vertex.
- On the construction toolbar, click Finish or press the F2 key.