A task item can be exported to an .esriTasks file, shared online, and shared using a project package. An .esriTasks file can be imported and opened into different projects.
Export a task item to a task file
In the Catalog pane, right-click the task item in the Tasks folder, point to Export To File and click Save As to export a task item to a task file. The task item is saved as an .esriTasks file.
Instead of clicking Save As, click Email to open a new email and directly attach the .esriTasks file to the email.
To save an open task item as a task file, click Task Item on the Share tab on the ribbon. On the Share Task Item pane, choose Save task item to file and fill out the remaining parameters. The task item that is currently open in the Tasks pane will be saved as an .esriTasks file.
An .esriTasks file can be imported into a project and opened in the Tasks pane. When importing task file as a task item, make sure the data referenced by the tasks is accessible and exists in the project. The data used by the task steps is not saved with the task file. If you want to save the data with the tasks, create a project package.
Share a task online
With ArcGIS Pro, you can share your tasks to ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS. To share a task, you must have an account that is part of an ArcGIS organization and the account must have privileges to create content.
- In ArcGIS Pro, open the task you want to share.
- With the task item open in the Tasks pane, click Task Item on theShare tab in the Share As group.
- On the Share Task Item pane, choose Upload task item to Online account.
- Confirm that the name of the open task item is correctly displayed under Name and Location.
If no task item is open, the name of the task item that is currently selected in the Catalog pane is displayed.
You can also type the name of an ESRI task file under Name and Location. The task file should reside in your home project folder. The name should only include the name of the task file and should not include any folders or a file path.
- Add a brief summary in the Summary field.
A summary is necessary when sharing a task item online. A summary should provide information such as the task version, author and/or the name or the person or organization that provided the task item.
- Add some tags in the Tags field.
Tags are necessary when sharing a task item online. Tags allow end users to easily search for and locate the task item.
- Specify how the task item will be shared:
- Everyone—This option makes your content public. Anyone can access and see it.
- My Organization—If you are signed in with an organizational account, you see this option. This option allows your content to be shared with all authenticated users in the organization.
- Groups—You can share your content with groups you belong to and their members.
- Click Analyze to check for any errors or issues. You must resolve all errors. If any issues are discovered, they show in the Messages tab. Right-click each message to get more information, read the help for the error or warning, and access suggested fixes. Learn more about analyzing GIS resources
- Once validated, click Share to share your task item.
- Once the process of sharing the task item has completed, click the Manage task item link to administer the task item.
Share a task item using a project package
A project package is used to share a complete project with others. A project package is a portable file that contains all the project items such as maps, data, toolboxes, and task items.