Available with Business Analyst license.
To set up a local Business Analyst dataset, perform the following steps:
- Download or copy the appropriate archive files and extract the files to a local or shared network folder.
- Make a connection to the dataset from the ArcGIS Pro Options dialog box (recommended). You can optionally install the dataset if you are using a version of ArcGIS Pro prior to 3.0.
- License the data.
The instructions below provide guidance for setting up the latest Business Analyst U.S. dataset. They are intended to offer an overview of the setup process, which varies slightly for each dataset. For detailed instructions on specific datasets, see:
Download and extract Business Analyst dataset files
You can download Business Analyst data files from My Esri or from a USB media device. To download the files from My Esri, complete the following steps:
You must install the 7-Zip open source program to extract and reassemble the Business Analyst data files from the downloads. You can download the latest version of 7-Zip from the official site: https://www.7-zip.org/.
- On the My Esri site, click Downloads and click All Products and Versions.
- In the Products section, under the All Other Products, type Business Analyst in the Quick Search text box.
A list of Business Analyst data products is shown.
- Find U.S. Data for use with ArcGIS Business Analyst Pro (or ArcMap) and click View Downloads.
- On the Download Components tab, click Data and Content to expand the list of files.
For the U.S. 2023 R2 dataset, there are six files. Each must be downloaded to a folder on your local drive.
- Beside the first data file, ArcGIS Business Analyst Pro (or ArcMap) 2023 Data (U.S.) #1, click Download.
The Download Manager window opens.
- Click Click to download your file now.
Depending on your browser, you may be prompted to select a location where you want the file downloaded.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the remaining five data files.
- Right-click ESRI_BA_2023_US_Data_Update_R2.7z.001 and click 7-Zip > Extract Here.
All files in the set are extracted when the process is initiated on the first file. The ESRI_BA_2023_US_Data_Update_R2 install directory is created upon completion of the extraction.
You can verify that your downloaded files match the originals at the source by following the instructions in Verify an Esri download using the checksum. Matching your downloaded files to the originals ensures all files downloaded correctly, preventing potential issues.
Connect to the dataset in ArcGIS Pro
To start using a local Business Analyst dataset, you must first connect to it using the Options dialog box in ArcGIS Pro. To connect to the dataset, do the following:
- Open the ArcGIS Pro settings page in one of the following ways:
- From an open project, click the Project tab on the ribbon.
- From the start page, click the Settings tab .
- In the list of side tabs, click Options.
- In the Options dialog box, under Application, click Business Analyst.
- In the Business Analyst Options pane, click the Add Dataset button.
The Add Business Analyst Dataset dialog box appears.
- Browse to the directory where the Business Analyst data is stored and select the dataset_description.xml file. Click OK.
You can view information about the dataset in the Name, Path, and Status fields. Status shows whether the data is licensed. The data must be licensed before it can be used in ArcGIS Pro.
- Click OK to close the Options dialog box.
Install a local Business Analyst dataset
Starting at ArcGIS Pro 3.0, installing a local Business Analyst dataset is not recommended. However, some users—such as those using earlier versions of the software or who want to make the dataset available for all users of their machine—may find that installing the data is necessary. You can install a local dataset to register it in the system by doing the following:
For ArcGIS Pro versions prior to 3.0, there is no option to connect to local datasets. The dataset must be installed using the standard Windows Installer workflow.
Run the setup installer from the ESRI_BA_2023_US_Data_Update folder to install the data components. As you click through the installation process, choose one of the two installation options:
- Typical—This is the default installation, which automatically loads Business Analyst data components to your local hard drive to a default location, C:\ArcGIS\Business Analyst\US_2023\Data.
- Custom—Use the custom option if you have limited space on the local hard drive. This option allows you to select which data components to install and where you want to install them. You can also choose not to install any data components and run Business Analyst from USB media or from a network location.
The installed dataset contains the following components:
- Demographic data
- Business data
- ArcGIS StreetMap Premium
- Geocoding data for ArcGIS Pro
License the data
To unlock the data supplied by the local Business Analyst dataset, you must download the .sdlic file and install it.
For users outside of the United States and Canada, if you do not have a My Esri account, contact your regional Esri distributor to obtain the necessary data license file. Some regional datasets do not require a data license file.
Download the license file
To download the data license file from My Esri, complete the following steps:
- Sign in to My Esri.
- Click Licensing and click License Files.
- Click Business Analyst and StreetMap Premium.
- Click Download to download the .sdlic file.
Install the license file
To install the license file in ArcGIS Pro, complete the following steps:
- Start ArcGIS Pro as an administrator.
- On the ArcGIS Pro start page, click Settings in the upper left corner of the application window. Alternatively, if you have a project open, click the Project tab on the ribbon.
- On the Settings page, click Licensing.
- Under Settings, click Manage your data licensing.
- Click Add and browse to where the .sdlic file is located.
- Select the .sdlic file and click Open.
In the Manage Data Licenses window, a list of the Business Analyst datasets is shown.
- Click OK and exit the Licensing window.
- Restart ArcGIS Pro.
Authorize ArcGIS StreetMap Premium license
The Business Analyst dataset includes a limited license for ArcGIS StreetMap Premium for North America, which includes locators for ArcGIS Pro, the StreetMap Premium street network for the U.S., and the StreetMap Premium basemap, which can be used exclusively with Business Analyst workflows. The license included with the Business Analyst dataset does not include all features of StreetMap Premium.
Authorization files are provided on My Esri to enable the StreetMap Premium items. To enable your StreetMap Premium authorization files, perform the following steps:
StreetMap Premium appears in your My Esri downloads list to enable the authorizations. You do not need to download these files—all required geocoding files are included in the 2023 U.S. data.
- On the My Esri site, click Licensing and click License Information.
- Click Authorizations.
- In the Quick Search text box, type StreetMap Premium or streetmap.
- Look for StreetMap Premium North America for Pro and click Expand Details.
A list of authorization files appears.
- Apply the authorizations with the ArcGIS licensing process.