Available with Network Analyst license.
When you make changes to network attributes, you need to build the network dataset if the changes require the network dataset to access its source feature classes. For example, creating a field evaluator that pulls time costs from a source feature class requires the network to be rebuilt. Changing the geometry of source features requires the network dataset to be rebuilt. However, the network doesn't need to be rebuilt when a function, script, or global turn delay evaluator is created since these evaluator types are evaluated at run time and do not rely on values cached into the network dataset.
The following scenarios require a network dataset to be rebuilt when edits are made to the network attributes:
- Edit geometry of source features.
- Edit an existing source features record from which the field script draws value.
- Edit an existing source features record from which the elevation fields draw value.
- Add or remove sources.
- If an attribute has any assigned evaluators that use a field script evaluator, changing the data type requires that the network be rebuilt.
- Change the fields on the feature class from which the elevation is derived (on the vertical connectivity page).
- Add or remove sources from the connectivity group, which changes the connectivity policy.
- Edit attributes (Add, Duplicate, Rename, Delete).
- Change the evaluator value if it is field script type.
- Change the evaluator type from field script evaluator to another evaluator type, or vice versa.
- Change the time zone table from one table to another.
No rebuild required
The following scenarios don't require a network dataset to be rebuilt when edits are made to the network attributes:
- Edit the unit for the cost and descriptor attributes.
- Edit restriction usage for the restriction attribute.
- Change a parameter (add, delete, rename, or edit the parameter data type and default value).
- Change an evaluator value if the evaluator type is not field script.
- Change the evaluator type from a nonfield script evaluator to another nonfield script evaluator.
- Change the hierarchy range.
- Edit the records of the time zone table.