You can explore the contents of an investigation in ArcGIS Pro, including the entities and relationships defined in the investigation's knowledge graph. An investigation can have data loading configurations to support adding content from relational tables to a knowledge graph. In addition to entities and relationships, a knowledge graph can store documents that support information recorded in the knowledge graph.
Open an investigation
You can see an overview of an investigation's contents in the catalog view and the Catalog pane in ArcGIS Pro. This includes a list of the types of entities and relationships in the investigation's knowledge graph. However, you must open the investigation in an investigation view to fully explore, analyze, and update the contents of its knowledge graph.
By browsing into the investigation in the catalog view and the Catalog pane first, you can open the investigation view directly to the set of entities or relationships in the knowledge graph that you want to explore.
- Browse to the collection of investigations in your project.
- In the Catalog pane, on the Project tab, double-click Investigations .
- In a catalog view, click Investigations in the Contents pane.
- Double-click an investigation to see its contents in either the catalog view or the Catalog pane.
An investigation contains a knowledge graph , and can also contain collections of Data Loading Configurations .
- Double-click the knowledge graph and the Entity types knowledge graph folder .
The entity types defined in the knowledge graph are listed.
- Double-click the Relationship Types knowledge graph folder .
The relationship types defined in the knowledge graph are listed.
- To see the properties defined for an entity type or a relationship type , right-click the type, point to Data Design, and click Fields .
The Fields view opens, showing all properties of the selected type.
- List the entities and relationships defined in the knowledge graph in the investigation view using one of the following methods:
- Right-click the investigation or the knowledge graph and click Open . All entities and relationships in the knowledge graph are listed.
- Right-click Entity types or Relationship Types and click Open . All entities or relationships in the knowledge graph are listed.
- Right-click an entity type or a relationship type and click Open . All entities or relationships in the knowledge graph of that specific type are listed.
The investigation view opens and the selected contents of the knowledge graph's content are listed.
Browse the contents of a knowledge graph
The investigation view allows you to see the types of entities and relationships defined in the knowledge graph's data model, and list the entity and relationship instances that have been created. You can also define new types of entities and relationships in the data model, create instances of entities and relationships in the knowledge graph, and update properties for existing entities and relationships.
View entity and relationship types in the Contents pane
The Contents pane allows you to explore entity types and relationship types in the knowledge graph . The total number of entities and the total number of relationships present in the knowledge graph appears next to the Entity Types and Relationship Types headings. The total number of instances that exist for individual entity types and relationship types appears next to that type.
An investigation's Contents pane has two tabs. The types of entities and relationships for which instances exist in the knowledge graph are listed on the By Type tab ; this tab is selected by default.
The Data Model tab lists all types of entities and relationships defined in the knowledge graph's data model, including types for which no instances exist yet in the graph.
If you are working with a complicated knowledge graph, you can search for specific entity and relationship types with the Search text box at the top of the Contents pane. As you type, the list of entities and relationships is filtered to include only types whose names match your text.
Click the Sort button next to the Search text box to change the order in which the entity and relationship types are listed.
If the contents of the knowledge graph are changed, for example, in another instance of ArcGIS Pro, click the Refresh button to the right of the Search text box. The knowledge graph's data model and the total number of instances for each type are updated in the Contents pane.
Reopen the Contents pane
The Contents pane is open in every new project by default. However, if it has been closed, you can reopen the pane from the ribbon.
- Click the View tab on the ribbon.
- In the Windows group, click Contents .
View entities and relationships in the investigation
The knowledge graph is selected by default in the investigation's Contents pane. The status bar at the bottom of the view shows how many items are listed. Basic properties for each item appear in columns.
- Display Name—Each instance of an entity or a relationship is identified using the value in this column. For example, entities might be identified by name if a name property has been defined for the given entity type. If a name or similar property isn't available, entities and relationships are identified by their Globally Unique Identifier (GUID).
- Type—These values indicate the type of entity or the type of relationship represented by the item as determined by the data model.
- Dataset—These values indicate whether the item is an entity or a relationship.
By default, the first 1,000 items are listed. You can choose to include all items in a category, or select a few items and show only the selected items in the list.
- Click Entity Types or Relationship Types in the Contents pane.
The number of entities or relationships of all types that are listed is indicated in the status bar.
- Click a specific type of entity or relationship in the Contents pane.
The number of instances of the specific entity type or relationship type that are listed is indicated in the status bar.
- Click the Rows drop-down list and click All.
If there are more than 1,000 entities or relationships of the selected type in the knowledge graph, all instances will be listed. Alternatively, you can click in the drop-down list and type the number of entities or relationships you want to retrieve, such as 2,000, and press Enter.
If it takes too long to list all instances, you can stop building the list by clicking the busy indicator at the bottom of the contents list. When ArcGIS Pro is finished generating the contents list, the busy indicator stops and you see the Refresh View button .
- Press Ctrl and click several instances of entities or relationships to select them.
The status bar in the investigation view is updated to indicate how many items are selected.
- Click the Show selected records button to include only selected entities in the list.
Explore various parts of the investigation at once
The same investigation can be displayed in multiple investigation views. For example, you can look at the instances of a Person entity type in one investigation view, and look at the instances of a HasVehicle relationship type in another investigation view. Each view associated with the same investigation has access to all the investigation's content. If you add a new HasPet relationship type to the investigation in one view, it is immediately available in the other view as well.
- In the investigation's Contents pane, right-click an entity type and click Open .
The investigation opens. The entity type is selected in the Contents pane and entities of this type are listed.
- Click the original investigation's tab to make it active.
- Click a relationship type in the Contents pane.
Relationships of this type are listed.
Each investigation provides a different view of the knowledge graph's content.