The parcel fabric is a records-driven system, and parcel features are associated with the parcel record that created them and retired them.
When creating parcel features, a parcel record must be set as active in the map. New parcel features are associated with the active record in the map. The Created By Record attribute field of new parcel features is populated with the GlobalID of the active record, and a record polygon is generated to match the geometry of the added parcel features.
The parcel type line, parcel type polygon, and connection line feature classes have a validation type attribute rule that requires their features to be associated with a record feature.
Set the active parcel record
When a parcel record is created, it is automatically set as the active record in the map. You can set another record as active by searching for the record in the Manage Records pane or by using a selection of parcel features.
Search for a record
To search for and set an active record using the Manage Records pane, follow these steps:
- Click the Create Record drop-down arrow in the Records group on the Parcel Record Workflows tab and click Manage.
- In the Manage Records pane, use a search query to search for the record you want to set as active. Select the record from the results list and click Set Active Record next to the record name.
The active record appears in bold in the upper portion of the Manage Records pane and also appears in the active record control in the map view.
Set the active record from a selection
To set the active record from a selection of parcel features, use the Select tool to select the parcel features, click the Menu button on the active record control, and click Activate Record of Selected Feature. The selected parcel features must all belong to the same parcel record or the command is unavailable.
Only display parcels in the active record
To only display parcel features in the active record, click Show Only Active in the Records group on the Parcel Record Workflows tab. You can turn this filter on or off.
If Show Only Active is turned off, you can set the transparency of parcels that are not part of the active record by clicking the Transparency button and dragging the slider in the transparency drop-down box.
When building parcels, the Show Only Active parcels display filter is turned off.
Work with the active record control
The active record control is displayed in the upper left corner of the map view when a parcel fabric is added to the map.
You can set an active record in the map by following the steps described in the section above.
A parcel record can be active or inactive when editing parcel data. If no record is active in the map, any parcel features that are created will not be associated with any parcel record. An inactive record is recommended for fixing data and other quality-driven edits.
To exit an active record, click the active record button on the active record control. Click this button to move in and out of the active record.
You can click the Menu button on the active record control to perform the following functions:
- Create a record—Click Create Record.
- Open the manage records pane—Click Manage Records.
- Set a different record as active by activating it from a selected feature—Click Activate Record Of Selected Feature.
- View recently used records and set a recently used record as active in the map—Point to Recently Used Records and click the record you want to set as active.
- View and edit the attributes of the active record—Click Record Properties.
- Select parcel features in the active record—Point to Select Features In Active Record and click the set of parcel features you want to select.
- Assign a selection of parcel features to the active record—Click Assign Selection To Record.
- Zoom or pan to the parcels in the active record—Click Zoom To Record or Pan To Record.
- Select the record polygon—Click Select Record.
- Resize the active record control and manage record extent warnings—Click Options.
Assign a parcel record
You can assign any parcel record to a selection of parcel features. The following parcel features have a Created By Record attribute field and can be assigned to a parcel record:
- Parcel type polygons
- Parcel type lines
- Connection lines
To assign a parcel record to a selection of parcel features, complete the following steps:
- Select the parcel features.
- Click the Create Record drop-down arrow in the Records group on the Parcel Record Workflows tab and click Manage to open the Manage Records pane.
- Use a search query to search for the parcel record.
- In the list of search results, select and right-click the parcel record and click Assign Selection To Record .
The Created By Record attribute field of the selected parcel features is populated with the GlobalID of the associated record, and a record polygon is created to match the geometry of the added parcel features.
If the parcel features are already associated with a parcel record, they are reassigned to the chosen record. The Created By Record field is updated with the GlobalID of the reassigned parcel record, and the record polygon is regenerated to match the geometry of the parcel features.
You can assign selected parcel features to the active record by clicking the Menu button on the active record control and clicking Assign Selection To Record.