The split parcels using construction lines workflow below describes the steps and actions used in the Parcel split: parent parcels task. The Parcel split: parent parcels task is a record-driven workflow for splitting parcels using construction lines and seeds. Parcels are split by adding or modifying boundary lines and constructing new parcels. The original or parent parcels are saved as historic.
To split parcels, you can use the Parcel split: parent parcels task or follow these steps:
- Create a parcel record for the parcel split.
The parcel record will be set as active in the map. The Created By Record field of new parcel features will be populated with the GlobalID of the active record.
- Use the Select tool in the Selection group on the Parcel Record Workflows tab to select the parcels you want to split.
You can select more than one parcel to split. In this workflow, you will be using the boundary lines of parent parcels to construct new parcels.
Tip:Select the parcel polygon to select the parcel.
- Click Copy Lines To in the Construct group on the Parcel Record Workflows tab.
- In the Copy Lines To dialog box, select the parcel type in which the new parcels will be constructed. Choose whether you want to preserve the attributes of the parent parcels and transfer them to the new parcels. Choose Show only active record to only show parcel features that are part of the active record. Click OK to copy the lines of the selected parcels to the active record.
If you choose to preserve attributes, they will be transferred to the seeds that are automatically created for the closed line loops.
- Add split lines or modify lines to construct new parcels. For example, add a split line between two new split points:
- Select a line to which you want to add a split point and click Divide in the Tools gallery on the Parcels ribbon.
- On Divide pane, choose the divide method, the direction of the line to split, and how to space the split points.
- Provide the distances of the split point or points and click Divide.
- If necessary, use the Divide tool to add a split point on a second parcel line.
- Use the Traverse tool or the Two-Point Line tool to add split lines between the split points.
- Click Create Seeds in the Construct group on the Parcel Record Workflows tab to create additional parcel seeds for new, closed loops of lines.
You can also move seeds or copy and paste parcel seeds.
Add a split line and create additional seeds.
- Select the parcel seeds and open the Attributes pane to add attributes for the parcel seeds.
The seed attributes will be transferred to the parcels when they are built.
Alternatively, you can choose to attribute the parcels when they are built.
- Select parcel lines with partial dimensions and open the Attributes pane to update the line dimensions.
Lines with partial dimensions are labeled with a dimension displayed in pink. The line is missing attributes in COGO fields. Use the Update Cogo tool in the Tools gallery on the Parcel Record Workflows tab to generate and add missing COGO dimensions to parcel lines.
- After attribute values have been updated, click Build Active in the Construct group on the Parcel Record Workflows tab to build parcels from lines and seeds in the active record.
The original parent parcels will be saved as historic. Turn on the Historic sublayer under the parcel type group layer in the Contents pane to display historic parcel features.
- Optionally, use the Sequential Numbering tool in the Tools gallery on the Parcel Record Workflows tab to add sequential attributes to the new parcels.