A spatial join joins the attributes of two layers based on the location of the features in the layers. Like joining two tables by matching attribute values in a field, a spatial join appends the attributes of one layer to another.
These steps are for creating a spatially joined dataset based on what intersects a feature:
- Select a feature layer in the Contents pane.
- On the Data tab, click Spatial Join .
By default, Target Features should list the layer to which you want to join data. If it does not, click the drop-down menu and select the layer.
- Click the Join Features drop-down menu and select the features that intersect with your target layer.
- Under Match Options, choose Intersect.
- Change additional parameters as needed. See Spatial Join for more information.
- Run the tool.
A new layer is added to the map.