A spatial join joins the attributes of two layers based on the location of the features in the layers. Like joining two tables by matching attribute values in a field, a spatial join appends the attributes of one layer to another.
Use these steps to create a spatially joined dataset based on what is within a polygon.
- Select a feature polygon layer in the Contents pane.
- Under Feature Layer, on the Data tab, click Spatial Join .
By default, Target Features should list the layer that you want to join data to. If it does not, click the drop-down and select the layer.
- Click the Join Features drop-down and select the polygon layer.
- Under Match Options, choose Completely within.
- Change additional parameters as needed. See Spatial Join for more information.
- Run the tool.
A new layer is added to the map.